Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Learning and progressing with my train

I spent hours learning how to lay sections of track, how to make grades and crossings and how to use turnouts (switches). My efforts at wiring caused some problems until I tried again and again. I used dental plaster to make culverts. I used Mountains in Minutes to give a realistic (sort of) ground contour. I painted the ground dark green before applying artificial grass and dirt. I made a tunnel for the train to go through. It was slightly curved and was about 20 inches long. Unfortunately I forgot that I might have to put a train back on the track if it came off. So instead of making the tunnel removable, it was fixed. I had to reach in with my hand and drag cars out.
Anyone first learning to use rail joiners that attach one section of track to another, has been frustrated at getting the joiners on to the rails. I eventually learned to expand the joiners before using them. Why don’t they come that way?
My wife and kids at least knew where I was if they were looking for me.
After two years of working on this layout I decided that I had arrived at the big time and decided to use the basement family room. After all, the kids could sit on the couch under the train and watch TV. I greatly increased my layout to a U shape that was 47 inches high off the floor. I admit I did make a mess. BUT it was Great!

No comments: