Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Attempt at HO Scenery

I used dental plaster beneath the track layout to slightly raise the elevation of the track. I learned that engines don't like much of a grade, but without some grade you can't make one track go over another. I used plaster to make the banks of a small pond and learned to color the area where the water was. I didn't yet know how to put a shiny plastic surface on the water. Planting grass was fun. I did know to paint the area dark green first so the plaster would not show through.

Wiring the layout so that power went to the track and power went to street lights, the train station and the two houses was easy to do. Wiring the electric switches (turnouts) was more difficult. I found out that when I became frustrated with trying something, it was best to wait until tomorrow. During sleep my mind generally found the answer.

No comments: